Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Please Help: Radial Nerve Damage

Good Morning Dr Tomaino.

I would first like to thank you in advance for taking the time in helping me.

In 2007, I had a fall on an outstretch hand. Due to the impact of the fall a hematoma formed on my wrist. All the possible solutions to cure the injury failed. The last resort was surgery, which was done.

There are some medical terms that I don't quite understand. I have upload my surgery medical record and the EMG report, so you can get a better understand of what happened.

Link to EMG report and surgery medical report- ---------
In result, after the surgery I left with numbness in the half of my thumb and index finger and part of my hand. The affect area also have pain as well. A few months ago my thumb and index finger starting twitching uncontrollably.

The pain isn't very bad at times and the twitching seems like of strange and something new. Strangely the twitching only affect the two fingers which were affect by the injury. The other three fingers are fine and don't twitch.

Will this get better and go way? Or will this be like this forever? If so, will it get worse as I get older?

Thank you in advance for your time and help. I really appreciate it. Have a great day.

Last edited by mtomaino; 09-07-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: to protect confidentiality, links to medical records have been deleted
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for your post--and please understand that my thoughts regarding your problem are just my opinion based on your history. Understandably I am unable to give you any advice without examing you, and this response is not intended to initiate a Doctor-Patient relationship.

With that caveat, it sounds as though your surgery has resulted in an injury to your radial sensory nerve. The numbness is unlikely to get better, but the pain you are having could potentially improve with surgery if you have a painful neuroma, or scarring of the nerve. It might be worthwhile to have your doctor consider a diagnostic injection of lidocaine to see if it diminishes your symtoms. If you do have a neuroma, this may very well be treatable.